Monday, October 12, 2009

Educating Children of Katrina

Should schools be able to entice students to come?



After reading this article, I was a little sad at what the school systems are trying to do to these children. It is bad enough that their homes were destroyed, their lives changed so much that many don't even recognize it, but now the school s want to put a price on the students head in order to get more money. I know that there is a certain amount that each school gets for a student enrolled, but what these law makers were offering as suggestions for the money was ridiculous. I don't remember one idea that involved helping the students to succeed. There was talk about money for the teachers, ways to get better insurance, what about getting some interventions for students who have just been traumatized by a natural disaster.



I was appalled at the fact that they want to let the schools compete for these students. the first thought that came into my head was that of colleges trying to recruit players. That is exactly what this is, only it is just for the money. How is this helping the student? Will making the classes overcrowded help these poor students to succeed better.



There was so much in this article that made the hair stand up on my neck. One thing in particular was allowing people who work in Math and Science to come into the schools and teach without having to go back to school and have education classes. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that people are willing to give up their jobs in order to teach our students to make them better, but they still need training. It is one thing to show adults what to do day to day in an office, than to teach students on a daily basis in the classroom. What about class management, courses on dealing with learning disabilities. This could become a disservice to our students.



After reading this article, I just want to work harder for my students. I want them to realize that I care and that I am not there just for a paycheck. I am there to make sure that they learn all that I have to teach them. I don't want to be one of those teachers who shows up to work and doe snot embrace that student for the little sponge that he/she may be. These students are the future leaders of tomorrow, it is important that we teach them what they need to know and not cram them into a classroom for the money and let them slide by on the wayside.

No comments:

Post a Comment