Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is Multieducational Education Wanted?

After reading Pitthissippi Burning, I will say that I was a tad bit sad. The article seemed to put down all races that wanted to have their say. Though some of the facts may or may not be true, for example that the white race will soon cease to exist, no one should ever not have the right to want to preserve their culture. After all that is exactly what other cultures are trying to do. I cannot make a comment on the book The Brigade, that PJ Tobia mentioned, but I will say that any book that puts down other races in order to build up their own is terrible. I would like to believe that one day the world as we know it would have Agape love and never again would a hate crime be committed, but realistically that just is not happening. This is why I believe in a multicultural education. However before I get to that lets discuss the other two articles read.

According to this article, at least to my understanding, multiculturalism is wrong because it creates a society of one people and does not give cultures their own identity. It causes cultures to integrate and not really live on its own. The article stated that the new culture is “imposed” on people who do not want it. I guess I really haven’t decided if I agree with this statement or not. There could be many circumstances where this could be true and others where it is not. For those people who are forced from their home and made to live somewhere else and live by their standards, I would agree this is wrong. However for those people who voluntarily made the choice to go to that new country, they were making a conscious decision to do that. However, this is not what I call Multiculturalism. Being Multicultural means combining cultures, not negating one because you are living in another.

As I am sure I have mentioned in other writings, I believe in multiculturalism, especially in the school systems. It is not my goal to make all of my students into “Americans.” I do not want to take away their culture or have them think that they must forget all that their family believes because they are here now. I would like to think that my classroom is its own little country. A place where students can come in as who they are and leave more in tune with their culture and have a love of the American culture as well. I try to never tell my students that the ways things are done at home are wrong. It is my job to teach the students what they need to know, academically. I am not there to convert them. I try to incorporate a little bit of them into all that is taught, something that they can relate to.

As mentioned in the article The Challenge of Multiculturalism, there will never be a fully multicultural society. However, I think that we can make it as close to that as possible for our kids. If we teach them to recognize the differences in each other and embrace them and not hate them, who knows what could happen in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Your entry is interesting, but a bit hard to read...next time, use the "bold" and it will stand out more...or, just use regular type font. You said you could not comment on "The Brigade," and I am wondering why so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't really state an opinion on it because I haven't read it myself. I only know what the author thought about it.

    ReplyDelete